“The kindness and generous love of God our savior appeared,” and shepherds “went in haste and found Mary and Joseph, and the Infant” (Christmas Mass at Dawn). It’s Christmas! How will we go in haste to find the Holy Family?
Some families, especially those with little children, might sing “Happy Birthday” to Jesus today. A fitting song amid the beautiful carols. Today we celebrate more than a birthday and historical event, however. Every day of the year, every solemnity, feast and season of the Church Year celebrates the whole life of Christ focusing especially on the dying and rising of Christ. Like the Sacred Three Days of Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and Holy Saturday, the time of Advent-Christmas can be called the winter pasch. We celebrate God in our midst, God’s birth in all the baptized who are the Body of Christ
Have you ever noticed how many references to the death and resurrection of Jesus, obtaining our salvation, are in our Christmas carols? Can you guess the titles of these lines?
- Mild he lays his glory by, born that we no more may die. Born to raise us from the earth, born to give us second birth.
2. With the dawn of redeeming grace.
3. The King of kings salvation brings.
4. Cast out our sins and enter in, be born ins us today.
5. He has opened heaven’s door., and we are blessed forever more
6. King and God and Sacrifice.